Friday, January 15, 2010

New Facebook Status

Sara went to Devil's Gear today & bought a Magic Carpet for the snapdeck of our Xtra (& wonder if anyone has any idea what that means & why we are excited about it).


Not sure any of my Fb friends will understand this, but I know you will.


It has been so wonderful to be back in the saddle after a week off the bike thanks to ice on the roads, no studded tires, and cold temperatures. In fact, last week marked the very first week of the entire school year that we did not cycle to school at all... and I missed it tremendously! While there is still snow on the ground, much of the ice on the roads has melted. Also, the temperatures were a bit more moderate the past few days (OK, friends in Canada and Chicago, I know you are cycling in much colder temps and I bow down to you for it). The boys were happy to gear up in their winter riding accessories. We continue to think we made a great investment buying winter Bern helmets for all the boys. Plus, after complaints of the cold wind making eyes tear, we found cheap ski googles for the fellas. After playing super spy agents inside the house, the boys were happy to test the googles outside. They worked great and no complaints, at least about cold faces, were registered. Bulky coats do make the snapdeck a bit more crowded and I got frustrated with the amount of sniping over space happening behind me while riding. Yes, I do think the words, "If you two don't stop bickering with one another, I will pull this bike over" did escape my lips.


At least their bums are now well padded, too.


9 comments:

MamaVee said...

NICE!

(I am often saying " stop touching each other. Now!" sometimes if we are close to home I tell the offender they will be walking the rest of the way if they can't leave their brother/sister alone. THAT always gets them to shape up. And a treat of some kind is sometimes a reward for the no touching or talking to each other until we get home ( when talk = "you're a poopie head!" " No YOU're a poopie head").

I've been think about your winter adventures and it's nice to see you all bundled up on a bike.

Julian said...

Yeah, Drew had to hoof it for a block once for smacking little Luc. She had a defiant good time. Not sure how well that worked out. Nice goggles!

Dottie said...

The boys look so cool in the goggles and winter helmets. I can't imagine any kid their age who would not love traveling like that. I have the exact same helmet as you - same purple and black tweed insert and everything :)

anne said...

Too funny. I too had walkers when mine were on the Snapdeck together.

Now they just fight about who gets to choose the route and sometimes they just head off in their separate directions in defiance of mama...I think I'd choose Snapdeck bickering over that!

Jennifer said...

Just started biking again to G's house, a week of super cold weather resorted to using the car. Parking is terrible in his neighborhood which is partially why I started biking (the other reason was that you inspired me to use my bike for commuting!). It was so nice to bike down there last night and enjoy the easy commute.

Love the picture of the three of you-though it looks like someone in the back was not happy!

Angie said...

Oooh - do they like the magic carpet?

I'm so amazed by your cold weather riding. We've had some exceptionally cold weather (for here, I mean) and I just don't know how you do it!!

And yeah, we have had to threaten to "pull the bucket over" quite a few times. With a two and a five year old, we are so there at the moment. ;p

Matt in Tacoma said...

I love the goggles! Sometimes you just have to change things up a bit to keep the little ones (and the pilot!) excited about the ride.

Looking forward to the first time I have to make one of my three passengers "walk the last block"...

MamaVee said...

can I say how happy I am to hear that other's have to deal with sibling rivalry on the bike. I always felt like I was doing something wrong since I didn't hear any "war stories" about kids being kids on bikes. Phew. Glad to know I'm not the only one who threatens walking for hitting/ill behavior etc.

sara said...

Hey All--
Got to admit that I think there NEEDS to be a t-shirt in this, something about "If you don't behave, I am pulling this bike over" with a cargo bike graphic!